In Black Springs there are two churches, Avoca Catholic Church and the St Adian's an independent church.
Both churches are of historical interest to the area.
AVOCA CATHOLIC CHURCH
In the village of Black Springs is a beautiful stone Roman Catholic "Avoca" Church built in 1888 on land that was owned by Peter and Margaret Behan.
Stone for the church was found on the property of Mr Edward "Ned" Hotham
The church was erected at a cost of 800 pounds and was built by volunteer labourers, many of whom came from the surrounding villages.
Priests such as Father Chastagnan, Fr Dunne, (later Bishop Dunne), Fr McGrath and Fr Kelly all travelled from Little Hartley by horse and sulky or on horseback to Black Springs and the surrounding villages to celebrate mass.
In 1885, stonemasons Allan and Vott started erecting the church to which Fr Walsh gave the name Avoca after the Vales of Avoca in Ireland. Three short years later the church was completed. The church was blessed by the then Bishop of Bathurst Bishop JP Byrne, DD.
Windows were donated in memory of loved ones who had passed.
The first ceremonies in the Church were:-
2 February 1891 the Marriage of Michael John Clayton and Jane McIntyre
18 September 1892 Baptism of James Edward Foley .
Avoca church stands as a tribute to the old pioneers and to a devoted priest, Fr Matthias Walsh, who with only sufficient funds to pay for the stonemason’s fees and roofing materials began the journey of the Catholic faith at Black Springs.
ST AIDAN'S CHURCH
the Anglican Dioceses of Bathurst procured land from the Catholic Dioceses of Bathurst on 29 Jan 1886 for St Aidan's church.
Affectionally known as "The Little Tin Church", St Aidan's was opened by the very Reverend Dr Charles Edward Cambridge, Anglican Bishop of Bathurst on 14 March 1891.
From 2008 to 2012 there was a recess in services as no minister was made available.
The church was reinstated on 4 March 2012 by Bishop Richard Hurford and continued until the church was deconsecrated and closed by Bishop Ian Palmer on 26 November 2017 and was sold without consultating the congregation. The church was sold to help pay down Diocesan debts.
The chruch was rehallowed by Rev Andrew Sempell after a benefactor purhased the church and land to be returned back to the congregation.
The church and land are used as a haven of peace and reflection. The area has become a Conservation Area with old growth forest intact.